FAVORITES // 2013

Saturday, December 28, 2013



2013 has produced some pretty incredible music. I am going to try my best to pick my Top 5 of 2013 and separate them into singles and albums.

MY TOP FIVE ALBUMS OF 2013:
  1. THE 1975 // THE 1975: This cannot come as a shocker to anyone. My album review of this debut was my first post on this blog and I will continue to rave about this band until my last breath.
  2. MIDNIGHT MEMORIES // ONE DIRECTION: Also not very shocking. I am a huge fan of this band and I am not ashamed to admit it. They are talented, charming, and did I mention talented? I also appreciate that they are bringing some modern rock back to the Top 40. These boys are entertaining to watch and easily admirable.
  3. AM // ARCTIC MONKEYS: I've had single songs by this band for a few years now, but it was not until the release of this album that I fully appreciated their existence in the music scene. When describing this album, one of the first words that comes to mind is cool. Alex Turner has a sultry, mysterious voice. If a voice could be the face for something, Turner's would be the voice for brooding. This record is unlike anything else. It would be a sin to not list it in my top 5.
  4. MODERN VAMPIRES OF THE CITY // VAMPIRE WEEKEND: This is a band I discovered from back in the day when MTV featured "A-Punk" in a commercial and what not. I know, MTV playing music? Odd, but it did use to happen. I've always liked their interesting sound, but this album was it for me. It did something for me that no other Vampire Weekend album ever has. If you need any more convincing to buy it in every medium possible, Rolling Stone rated it as the best album of 2013
  5. PARADISE VALLEY // JOHN MAYER: John Mayer is a constant in my life when it comes to his music. Even his last album, though selling poorly, seemed like a gift from heaven to me. I love his voice and the spiritual sort of journey he has been taking with his music. I will forever be impressed by him and his immense amount of talent. BONUS: Check out this video from a (somewhat) recent performance on his. The guitar solo in this live version melted my brain.
MY TOP FIVE SINGLES OF 2013:
  1. WRECKING BALL // MILEY CYRUS: You will, without a fail, catch me singing this song at least three times a day. It is becoming a problem that my roommate is finding insufferable, yet I have no issue with. This song is ridiculously great, especially for those times when you're driving by yourself and want to yell like a maniac for a few minutes. Miss Cyrus KILLED it on this song. 
  2. HOLD ON WE'RE GOING HOME // DRAKE: I never thought that I would rave about a Drake song ever. I have never particularly fancied rap music, and I will admit that I used to take pride in not having the typical stereotypical music taste of a high schooler. I'm a little ashamed of the fact that I used to stick my nose up at people who listened to Drake, or anything even remotely like him. It was extremely ignorant of me, but it was my loss because I was clearly missing out on a lot. This song is incredible and smooth and the beat is infectious. This song, along with "Come Thru" (both of his newest album, Nothing Was The Same), sparked my new found obsession with the Canadian actor turned rapper. Still feels weird watching him walk around on stage though. He will forever be Jimmy Brooks to me.
  3. SWEATER WEATHER // THE NEIGHBOURHOOD: How can I not talk about this song? I used to wake up early just so I could get the satisfaction of hearing this on my local Top 40 station because they would not play it during prime listening hours. I would catch it around 5 in the morning and grin ear to ear.
  4. FIRST TIME // JONAS BROTHERS: This song is listed both because I am biased and adore this trio and because it's so different than what they've done in the past and I think that deriving from your roots is great when done right. Sadly, this change led to their demise and they are no longer together. BOO. 
  5. MERRY GO 'ROUND // KACEY MUSGRAVES: I didn't know whether to give her whole album a spot on my top 5 albums, or put this song here because I feel so strongly about both. Ultimately, I recognized my lack of knowledge about the album so I chose to feature this song of my top 5 singles of 2013. It is overall a relatively simple song with lyrics that pack a punch and make you wonder what you're doing with your life. Her voice is sweet and never grating. This song is a great crossover with country and pop music that could satisfy the taste of either fans.

2 comments

  1. I love that you did this post! I will definitely have to check out some of these!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Trying to narrow my year down into 5 of each was the toughest part of my first semester...hah.

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Pause It, Play It. Design by FCD.